To commemorate the 15th anniversary of International Press-in Association (IPA), a seminar “Global Best Practices of Press-in Piling Method” was held in Singapore with experts presenting the most recent advances in the applications of Press-in piling technology in Asia, Europe, North America, South America, and Africa. As for VSSMGE, Associate Professor Vu Anh Tuan (Le Quy Don Technical University) attended the seminar.
Press-in piling method is a construction method in which prefabricated piles are installed into the ground with little noise and vibration using static loading generated from hydraulic rams. The reaction force is derived from the extraction resistance of previously driven piles, allowing the invention of the small Press-in machine, so called “Silent Piler” to generate greater force by integrating with the ground. Such a compact machine can work under physically restricted working conditions. The Press-in piling method originated in Japan and over the years, it has been disseminated successfully in projected across 43 countries worldwide. The Press-in piling method has also been employed successfully in difficult site conditions in many projects in Southeast Asia.
Nine keynote lectures related to Press-in technology were presented at the seminar, as follows:
1. “Brief Introduction on Press-in Technology and IPA”, by Mr. Hisanori Yaegashi from IPA;
2. “Remembering the Early Days of Press-in Research”, by Prof. David White from University of Southampton;
3. “Recent Applications to Press-in Piling Method in Asia with Emphasis on Coastal Protection”, by Mr. Hiroki Kitamura from Giken Seisakusho Asia;
4. “The Application of Press-in Piling to Increase the Resilience of Critical Infrastructure in Europe”, by Prof. Ken Gavin from Technical University of Delft;
5. “Recent Notable Press-in Piling Projects in North America”, by Mr. Takefumi Takuma from Giken America Corporation;
6. “Recent Application of Press-in Piling Method in Brazil: Downstream Retaining Structures for Tailings Dams” by Prof. Marcos Massao Futai from University of Sau Paulo;
7. “Recent Applications of Press-in Piling Method in Africa: The Cases of Senegal and Egypt” by Prof. Mounir Bouassida from University of Tunis El Manar;
8. “Recent Research on the Use of Press-in Piling Data” by Mr. Yukihiro Ishihara from IPA;
9. “Future Prospect of Press-in Method” by Prof. Chun Fai Leung from National University of Singapore.
Apart from attending the indoor seminar, the delegates and experts also conducted a site visit to a construction field in which a new Press-in technology called Zero Clearance Press-in Method is applied.
The delegates also participated a technical visit to National University of Singapore (NUS), where the 3rd International Conference on Press-in Engineering will be held in 2024. The delegates were introduced the modern equipment devices in the laboratories as well as a new campus called University Town of NUS.
Vũ Anh Tuấn
Military Technical Academy (MTA).